year | 1928
location | 234 N. Central Avenue, Phoenix, AZ
style | Second Renaissance Revival
architect | Curlett & Beelman
previous use | Security Improvement Company offices
current use | Maricopa County offices
super sweet details |This gorgeous 9-story red brick beauty on Central Avenue, just south of the Valley Metro Central Station, isn’t actually constructed of brick–it’s reinforced concrete with a hand-molded brick veneer. It was commissioned by Dwight D. Heard, publisher of the Arizona Republic, in 1928, and was known for its speed of construction. The 9th story penthouse wasn’t added until 1958, when it served as the private residence of Walter Bimson, president of Valley National Bank. A lighthouse-type beacon originally shone from the top of the tower and could reportedly be seen from 30 miles away.
verdict: totally rad.
Historic photo cred Arizona State University Libraries: Arizona Collection.